Wednesday, February 21, 2007

US Navy Dream

Ok, as most of you know, growing up I had an obsession with the US Navy, specifically Naval Aviation. The Aviation dream I had to give up because of eyesight: it's not good enough. And, I sort of stopped talking about the Navy as I was going to school and got really involved in theatre and stuff. But, it was a dream that never really died. Well, again, as most of you know, as a freshman in college, for a semester I did the Army ROTC: a ton of fun, but not really my thing. It wasn't the Navy. For some reason, the Navy offers an appeal to me like no other branch of the military.
Well, the other day I walked out of the HFAC after class, and lo and behold, there was this huge Navy truck sitting there!! I immediately veered off my course to the library to this amazing sight: my heart was going "pitter-patter" the whole time. It was a simulation: like the Star Wars ride at Disneyland. It was a race car one, which really has nothing to do with the Navy, but it was still fun. Later this week they're going to have an F-18 simulation, and I'm really excited.
With this reemergence of Navy personnel on campus, my love of the Navy fired up again. And I started thinking about it and different opportunities available to me. I love my country and I am a patriot. And one of my greatest dreams is to serve my country. But I don't feel justified for myself dedicating all my time to that job, because there are other things I want to do, and other things I feel I'm meant to do. But, options are opening up for me to do both. We'll see what happens in the future. But I love the Navy; I really do. And one day, I hope I can be a sailor and proudly salute my nation's flag. Hopefully, in uniform on an aircraft carrier. But, one day. The dream is still very much alive....

No comments: