Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pain for Art?

Who is art anyway? And why do we sacrifice so much for him? I have performed the first two performances of The Faithful Friend, and have two left. Things haven't gone exactly as planned, because we were supposed to perform outside at the Duck Pond, but we suddenly got hit with this huge storm, and it was raining and snowing and all that, so we had to move into the Nelke. It was my first performance in there. I was not very happy, because I can be Arlecchino so much better outside. There I can flip and somersault and all that stuff because the grass is pretty soft. But the hard stage is not cool. So, right now I am in intense pain because I'm all bruised up and skin got torn off my shin last night as I slip through a window on stage and I'm just in pain. I look like a domestic violence victim. I'm completely exhausted and ready to literally collapse.
With all this terrible stuff that comes along with performing, the question arises, why do it? Is it worth it? As I feel my entire body aching everywhere, and feeling like I want to cry, the answer: yes. It's worth it. No matter how much I have to go through for art's sake, it's worth it. I would give any amount of pain and suffering, get two hours of sleep a night, and be completely exhausted all the time just to do what I'm doing, because I love it. I love performing with all my heart, and there's no other feeling like it. So no matter the pain, the amount of time and effort, the exhaustion, I'll get doing it, because it's a part of me. I love it. And I'll never stop. That's not worth it.

No comments: